messy spectacles

Musings and meditations about God, Knowledge, Life, the Universe, etc.

Monday, December 25, 2006

Yuletide Musings

I came home a bit early to avoid the holiday rush and sat down to a typical night of channel-surfing, when what to my wondering eyes did appear but a listing in the on-screen guide for "Yule Log." So now I'm sitting here, blogging, basking in the light of a six-hour showing of a fireplace, captured in full high-definition glory. Call me crazy, but it's warm... homey... lovely...

I had a most blessed Christmas weekend. Dad got the news last week that his PSA is down to 7 (from 27 two months ago), and somehow this change for the better translated into a repreive from the typical holiday dysfunction. Nary an argument was heard as all the preparations were made, the presents were wrapped, the grandkids appeased. Quite marvelous.

Generally speaking, I am not a Christmas person - wait - make that "I am not an Xmas person." The lights, the inflatables, the endless remakes of "The Little Drummer Boy" by Mariah Carey and Kanye West and their ilk all make me want to find a cave. In years past, I've been left alone with Over the Rhine's "Darkest Night of the Year" -- the only Christmas album I've found remotely palatable. This winter, however, they've followed it up with "Snow Angels," an album of original songs that manages to be deeply spiritual and melancholy and intimate all at the same time. Thanks Karin and Linford - Much love. I also happened upon a double album of Christmas favorites by indie fave Sufjan Stevens and was absolutely blown away. The instrumentation and arrangements are gorgeous and he pulls out classics like "I Saw Three Ships" and "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming" that I haven't heard in years. I highly recommend you pick them up.

But for now, that "To Go" piece of grandma's cherry pie is calling to me from the fridge. I think I'll scoop some vanilla and bask in the Hi-Def glow of Channel 1500. Great love and joy to all who still stop in to this little corner of Internetland now and again. May you be richly blessed.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Jaime G said…

    So, how would one get a copy of the Over the Rhine Christmas cds? I have been interested for awhile and unable to find them!

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, thanks for commenting on the death of my blog... it's nice to know that it will be missed! I may blog again in the future, but I am awaiting some great inspiration of some kind which has been eluding me of late. I'll still pop in on your blog from time to time! Take care my friend!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home