messy spectacles

Musings and meditations about God, Knowledge, Life, the Universe, etc.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Something's Gotta Give...

It is 1:21am, and I am just settling in to my last piece of homework for the night. My body is letting me know, in no uncertain terms, that I am not 19 anymore.

Earlier, on my way home from a class discussion group, I was seized by the desire to quit. Now, I'm something of a career quitter, but at that moment in the car, I've never wanted to quit so badly in my life. Quit school, quit my job, quit church, quit relationships and, like Hotblack Desiato in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, "spend a year dead for tax reasons."

Heather's referral to this blog as a resource on holding the tensions is a huge compliment, but what do you do when the tensions have you feeling like the waistband on a twenty-year-old pair of boxers -- all stretched out?

Once, just once, for the sake of variety if nothing else, I wish God would call me to something possible. Manageable, even.

Fortunately, He loves me too much.

When everything you're doing is needful, maybe it's not so much someTHING that has to give, but SomeONE. And He does. I actually have energy for homework right now, and I KNOW that ain't about me. Impossibility breeds dependence, and dependence is a funny sort of freedom.

A few years ago, I was meditating and listening to worship music when a Vineyard song came on that repeated the line "Every good and perfect gift comes from You." I remember weeping in gratitude. Our God gives and gives and gives so much... so often... so freely.

Blessed be the Name of the Lord! Deo Gratias. Amen.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I wish God would call me to something possible. Manageable, even."

    Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm glad to hear that someone else feels that way. Hardly a day goes by that I don't feel like I'm in way over my head with all the stuff in my life. Sometimes I DO wish God would let me do something really easy, but I think if he did, I would be strangely disappointed to not have a reason to cling to Him for every moment...

    I enjoy your words. Bless you!

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Blogger Jaime G said…

    This post reads like a Psalm. Beautiful.

    "Impossibility breeds dependence, and dependence is a funny sort of freedom." Good words.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Matt Patrick said…

    Your spec's may be messy, but I sure enjoy peering through them from time to time! Thank you for your transparent heart, my friend.

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Erin Bennett said…

    As I read the first paragraph, all I could think was, "I have SO been there." But then I realized that I was much closer to 19. I love that you realize that He loves you too much to make things manageable. It's so true!

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger gloria said…

    "There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things."
    "I dare say you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

    I received this on a card from a good friend recently. I rejoice with you in the God of impossibilities.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Tonya said…

    I didn't know psalmists wore boxers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home