messy spectacles

Musings and meditations about God, Knowledge, Life, the Universe, etc.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A Digital Dilemma

Tonight, as I was killing a little time, I deliberately opted for non-required reading - in other words, having nothing to do with class. I grabbed a book of essays by a "technophile" (a label I can identify with) and came across the following words:

I'd like to think that computers are neutral, a tool like any other, a hammer that can build a house or smash a skull. But there is something in the system itself, in the formal logic of programs and data, that recreates the world in its own image. Like the rock-and-roll culture, it forms an irresistible horizontal country that obliterates the long, slow, old cultures of place and custom, law and social life. We think we are creating the system for our own purposes. We believe we are making it in our own image. We call the microprocessor the "brain"; we say the machine has "memory." But the computer is not really like us. It is a projection of a very slim part of ourselves: that portion devoted to logic, order, rule, and clarity. It is as if we took the game of chess and declared it the highest order of human existence.

The fact that Ellen Ullman, the author of this passage, is a computer programmer by virtue of something not unlike a religious vocation added extra weight to these words. Something unfamiliar rose up in me: a resistance to technology. Great. Just what I needed: another tension.

I am tremendously grateful for the blog. Thanks to this whacky universe we call cyberspace, part of me gets to be in Slovakia with Matt and Diane. This crazy-busy college student inhabiting my flesh gets to hear from people he loves but rarely gets to see. Like Bruce, who scribbles out his missionary heart in the middle of a culture that sees itself as beyond the need for such people. What utter crap. If I'm honest, I have to admit I see a mission field half the time I look in the mirror.

Yet, as great as this is and as many doors as it opens, blogworld is just no substitute for so many things: The warmth of Gloria's smile as she waves at me across the sanctuary. Christi's motherly presence on my left in pre-service prayer. Judy's depth of insight that mixes with her wit in ways that call forth astounded laughter. The sense of deep care and centered purpose that Jan wears like a mantle. Heather's obvious delight in the minds and souls of the students God's given her to shepherd. The fierceness of Tim's embrace as we say goodbye after two hours of deep, authentic life-sharing at Dunn Brothers on a Wednesday night.

Tensions. I guess there are always more waiting to be entered into. Sometimes I feel painfully stretched like a guitar string. But what I'm wondering tonight is if the ultimate resolution to those tensions is the Person of Love... if the tensions exist solely to provide God an instrument on which to play the melody of His all-surpassing goodness...

Eh... another incomplete metaphor to add to my collection. Regardless, I felt like I needed to share all this tonight, and to make explicit the following reality: Whether our connection is live and in person or mainly digital, I love you all beyond the power of words to capture, and am so blessed to lift you before God in thanksgiving.

Soli Deo Gloria. Fiat Lux (for those who've asked, it's Latin for "let there be light")!

4 Comments:

  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger Bruce E. B. said…

    JEFF!!! You really captured something here. I too feel the tension of desiring to stay connected with people in a world where there are more relationships than time allows. Maybe its always been the case, but I think it is a greater tension in present times.

    I hope that what we long for is the stuff that heaven is made of and it will all make sense there. Until then... these blogs play an interesting role. For instance, I just got a little, honest piece of your heart, it's 7:30 a.m., its the only free time I'll have all day, and I just spent a few moments with my friend Jeff. Or did I ??????? I hope you all well my friend.

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger gloria said…

    "If I'm honest, I have to admit I see a mission field half the time I look in the mirror." -- that got you another warm Gloria smile.

    Ahh Jeff. I thank God for this strange, incomplete, face-less techno-space. Just like him to transform even this tool into a life-giving, community-building place.

    your talk of tensions comes back again and again. I love your words.

     
  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger Tonya said…

    We are all souls longing for connection...ultimately connection to our Creator, but also intimate connection with each other. We are souls who inhabit time and space whether it be in mortal bodies or in techno portals!

    Brian and I watched the movie "Hitch" tonight..."Life is not the amount of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." How many times when I read my friends' blogs I stop to catch my breath at Truth revealed!

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger matthew troy said…

    Close to the Machine!

    So odd. When looking over my books before I left for the north, I pulled off Close to the Machine.
    Immediatly, I put it back on the shelve- scorning myself for trying to ingest to much. Alas, Dave Matthew's said it best when he uttered the words, "Too Much". Odd that you would then pick it up. Was it falling off the shelf?

    For some background-

    I read the book in an abandoned logging village in Oregon where technology was very limited, so it was easy to disregard some of the observations. That is not the case now in the year... 2005. It seems, a person without a computer is like a person without a mouth, for good or for ill.

    City Lights, the publisher, is a bookstore were the Beat Poet hung out in San Fran. I was there, once.
    Toot-toot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home