messy spectacles

Musings and meditations about God, Knowledge, Life, the Universe, etc.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Thoughts from Uncle Walty...

Ok -- so I read the following last night:

"[This] consciousness with its program of acheivable satiation has redefined our notions of humanness, and it has done that to all of us. It has created a subjective consciousness concerned only with self-satisfaction. It has denied the legitimacy of tradition that requires us to remember, of authority that expects us to answer, and of community that calls us to care. [This] program of acheivable satiation: a) is fed by a management mentality that believes there are no mysteries to honor, only problems to be solved. [...] b) Is legitimated by an 'official religion of optimism,' which believes God has no business other than to maintain our standard of living, ensuring [the leader's] own place in his palace. c) Requires the annulment of the neighbor as a life-giver in our history; it imagines that we can live outside history as self-made men and women." -- Walter Brueggemann, The Prophetic Imagination

Brueggeman is writing this to define and summarize the prevailing worldview opposed to his "prophetic imagination". Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Self-made men and women? Official religion of optimism? No mysteries to honor, only problems to be solved?

I grieve for the ways I have been that kind of Christian -- that kind of person. For me, it ties back into Judy's call for a theology of beauty, since beauty and mystery are intertwined in my soul in ways impossible for me to articulate. Brueggeman also asserts that the prophetic voice rises from our capacity to grieve, and I've always thought I was impossibly morbid for finding grief almost inexpressably beautiful. But maybe I'm not so far off after all...

2 Comments:

  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "THEOLOGY OF BEAUTY . . . since beauty and mystery are intertwined in my soul in ways impossible for me to articulate" . . .

    . . . ahhhhh "impossible for me to articulate" . . . so I search for others words that kick holes in the darkness for me or breathe life into what is already there (enlarging my soul) . . . and enlarging my community experience . . . for which words are so important . . .

    for others in my life a rocking chair and my arms are the voice of love . . . for now . . .

    thank you for giving words to my rocking chair experience . . . and enlarging my soul.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger gloria said…

    Reading the quote awakens the raging gloria within. I guess that I am still mad at the religious upbringing that I had. I guess that I still want to punch someone for trying to pass off that crap as real life.
    Yet, there's another part of me that feels great gratitude that there are Jan's and Judy's and Jeff's and that God is bigger than all of the idiosy and religiousity and that he really does offer real life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home